Dear Dawn, FIND board, et al:
As you well know, I’ve been very involved with Film Independent, and the organization has been mind-bogglingly important to my career. My first feature film came out of all the labs and had its world debut at the LA Film Festival. And Rich Raddon in particular has gone out of his way to help me on several occasions. He has never been anything but extremely supportive, extremely professional, and extremely friendly.
I’m assuming that Rich knows that I am gay, but I don’t really know. I don’t think it would matter, considering his behavior with his staff and the culture of diversity that he helps to promote at Film Independent and the LA Film Festival. I mean, I’m not saying I’ve made out with the guy, but I would say that Rich is very socially liberal.
But then again, I don’t really know. When I heard about Rich’s donation of $1500 to the YES ON 8 campaign, I was surprised, angry and upset. I keep thinking back to my recent interactions with Rich and I feel like an idiot. Just a few months ago I appeared in front of a meeting of Westwood business owners, at Rich’s request, to talk about my overwhelmingly positive experiences with the festival. And now it seems a bit like I was dealing with the enemy and I didn’t know it. Basically, I feel betrayed (by Rich – not by FIND).
I certainly don’t think that Rich should be fired from his job, or that FIND has any grounds to do so. And although I found it a bit brief and underwhelming, I agreed with the FIND statement: "Film Independent is dedicated to supporting the civil rights of all individuals. At the same time, our organization does not police the personal, religious, or political choices of any employee, member, or filmmaker."
True. I believe that what Rich does in his private life is his own business and he should not be punished for it (although it seems Rich and his church might not afford me that same privilege). And if FIND really isn’t policing personal choices, it makes me wonder how many more panels I’ll be invited onto if I publicly spearhead a social movement called, for example: “Death To Albinos.”
But (in an argument that has been well worn this week) I’m curious to know if FIND would have released their exact same statement if Rich had been outed as an anti-semite. Would Rich be able to continue as the public face of a film festival in Hollywood if he had given a considerable donation to a group working to write anti-semitism into the state constitution?
This scenario can be redrawn in a number of ways: What if Rich had donated money towards segregation? Or sought to prevent interracial marriage? Or wanted to take suffrage away from women?
History has made all of these suggestions improbable, ridiculous and outrageous. And I think it’s important for Rich to understand that for us gay filmmakers, Proposition 8 is just as improbable, ridiculous and outrageous. For us, it is tantamount to racism. It doesn’t matter what the churches say or how they justify themselves. It doesn’t matter if other minority groups distance themselves from us, or vote against us. It doesn’t matter if the blogs or pundits say this issue is “more complicated” because it involves sex and religion and therefore can’t be compared to racism. It doesn’t matter how you categorize, define or belittle it:
It still FEELS like discrimination – to us.
The good news is that history is arcing in our direction. And we will fight and win back our rights. And someday I’ll make a fabulous movie about my big gay wedding.
The bad news is – I won’t want Rich Raddon introducing that movie at the LA Film Festival.
(If I get in.)
In fact, until we get some sort of public apology or statement from Rich, it’s going to be awkward to be at any FIND events with him. Not to mention my FIND membership renewal is sitting on my desk and I’m wondering what percentage of my fee ends up in Rich’s pocket – and how much will get donated to a campaign against me (probably less than a penny but – it’s the principle of the thing).
I’m giving Rich the benefit of the doubt. And I assume that his donation was made because of his (apparently all powerful) devotion to his faith and not because he considers gays to be second-class citizens. And I’m assuming (and hoping) that Rich was deeply troubled by the YES ON 8 campaign.
And I’m really hoping that Rich will issue a public apology or explanation. And that he will donate an equal amount to a gay rights group. I’m hoping that he will do something to prove (as we suspect) that he is not prejudiced against us, that he is not homophobic, that he was deeply conflicted about the donation, and that he is sorry.
(And when I say “sorry” I don’t mean “I’m sorry you were offended.” I mean “I’m sorry I was an idiot and did something so hurtful to a part of the community that I am supposed to be helping” and “I’m sorry I caused you gay filmmakers and pretty much everybody at FIND so much pain and turmoil” and “I’m sorry I didn’t have the balls to stand up to my church on this one issue when it seems otherwise that I’m actually pretty fine with the gays.”)
If he can do that, then we can try to get back to working with Rich, who is excellent at his job.
But if he doesn’t make some sort of public apology, and a matching donation – or if he can’t – then I’m hoping that FIND will accept Rich’s resignation.
It won’t be a victory for gay rights. It will be a massive – but necessary – disappointment and loss for the Film Independent community.
Scott Prendergast