Hi there Josh, how are you?
I know you've been getting a deluge of calls and e-mails in regard to Rich's donation to Yes on Prop 8. To be honest when I found out about it a couple of weeks ago I was shocked. I have written this letter several times over since than. It's been hard for me to separate my emotions from all of this. It's unfortunate that Prop 8 passed. At the same time I do think this is the wake up call we needed to open the dialogue with everyone about the bigger picture of equal rights. My friends and I have gotten together to discuss this as a community and fellow filmmakers have gathered another time to discuss the effects of Rich's donation and his role at FIND. I hear anger, I hear shock, I hear disgust, I hear patience, I hear frustration, I hear all sorts of emotions.
Film Independent, you, Maria, and others have been amazing to me and my filmmaking career. From the Producer's Lab, to the film festival, to the luncheons, to the continued support through personal contact and encouragement. There's appreciation and recognition for what FIND has done for me. I have spoken your praise for more than 10 years now and I still do. I believe everyone has a right to their opinions and beliefs. And I do believe in what this country and our Constitution stand for. It is important to be aware of people's differences, if for no other reason, than to understand and respect one another. Rich as the individual did not donate money to a cause that took away rights in the name of FIND. However, I and others have been affected by the awareness of his actions to support a proposition to not only restrict the rights of people but to strip them of existing rights. However you look at this, it is an act of vengeance.
I guess what I want to say with this letter, is that we need to bring awareness to this issue on a larger scale. With that there needs to be greater tolerance and acceptance through education and dialogue. For FIND to truly live up to its mission statement, there has to be a real effort to address this issue head on. Yes, Rich and each of us is entitled to our personal opinions. But this is out in the open now and can't go back in. For someone to be the face of an organization that promotes diversity, there also has to be transparency. Do you really believe in what you are saying/promoting? If FIND does believe that, than they need to show it as well. A simple statement of the facts is not enough. Dialogue with the members is necessary. Listening is necessary. Education and understanding is necessary.
A few ideas have been tossed around and I'm sure you have heard some. Since I am promoting dialogue so much I think having an open dialogue with FIND, the board and Rich would certainly be beneficial. I also think that it might be something to consider, if FIND really wants to heal this situation with it's members, use the resources they have to restore the confidence and name of FIND and LAFF. Why not put a collective of filmmakers together, and through the support of FIND and its resources we make a short PSA on diversity and equality and the true values and message that FIND stands for and at the screenings for LAFF this is shown at the beginning of each film. I think this is a great opportunity for FIND to really get its goals and ideals in order and use it's resources to actually promote them.
I think this will be an on-going issue no matter how you look at it. However, FIND and LAFF have to be proactive in responding to this. They have stood by Rich through this. Even as I hear he is stepping down, every one of us recognizes all that he has done for LAFF. At the same time, in order for LAFF and FIND to continue to be a success, they must reach out and address this issue and their members to maintain the support of their community of filmmakers.
Sincerely
Juli Vizza