LETTER FROM MICHAEL URBAN

Dear Ms. Hudson,

Like many other filmmakers and FIND members I am writing to express my concern and disappointment over the revelation of LAFF Director Rich Raddon’s donation to the Yes on 8 campaign. I can appreciate Raddon’s position as a devout member of the Mormon church and his desire to follow the tenants of his religion. Having been raised in a Southern Baptist tradition, and having struggled with my identity as a gay man I know first hand the conflict that arises in the intersection of Faith and Human Nature.

Some twenty years ago when I informed my mother of my struggle with my sexuality she suggested in all seriousness that I consider a lobotomy to deal with my affliction. This summer my mother was present at my wedding to my husband. She remains a devout Southern Baptist to this day, finding within her heart the grace and wisdom to accept the diversity and equality of all God’s children.

Sadly, because of the passage of proposition 8, the state of my marriage is in legal limbo and may be annulled. I don’t know if Raddon can imagine what this feels like. I hope that if he could he would have reconsidered his donation.

As a writer my identity is woven into my stories. It is impossible for me to separate myself from my work. I suspect most filmmakers would tell you the same. The passage of proposition 8 feels like an attack against my identity because it so directly undermines the quality of my life and the quantity of my civil rights.

I have been a member of FIND going back to the IFP days. After the release of my first feature film Saved! my writing partner and I spoke as guests with the participants of the Screenwriting Lab. This year I was delighted to be on the other side of the table as a participant in that very same lab. I had hoped to shepherd my script through FIND and eventually participate in the Los Angeles Film Festival. I believe in FIND and want only the best for the organization. However, as of today, it is my opinion that FIND’s reputation and standing have been deeply compromised.

Sincerely,
Michael Urban