Dear Dawn and Josh,
It’s taken me a couple of days to put my thoughts together mostly because there’s so much I’d like to say, but I’ll keep it brief.
As you know, I have been affiliated with FIND since IFP West days. My first feature premiered at the LA Film Festival, and was nominated for Independent Spirit Awards. I served on FIND panels and attended filmmaker forums. This summer I attended the FIND Screenwriters Lab, which was a wonderful experience. In fact, all my experiences with FIND have been extremely positive and supportive– that is until the wrenching and confusing news of Rich’s donation.
I believe that the FIND board has made the right decision in accepting Rich’s resignation. Let’s be clear, this is not just a LGBT issue. I’m a straight married lady and it was outrageous and unacceptable to me that Rich, as the face of the LA Film Festival, made a contribution towards a campaign that so flagrantly violates the civil rights of others.
As much as I see this as a necessary resolution, I am greatly saddened, as Rich was a wonderful filmmaker ally. He was very supportive of me, and I know supportive of many others.
Knowing Rich, I know that he wants FIND to thrive, and I do too. However, I also feel that more has to be done beyond accepting Rich’s resignation in order for FIND to serve its members and mission.
While this has been a painful process for many, I think we can see it as an opportunity to begin a dialogue; an opportunity for FIND to get in front of this issue and assert itself as a leader in promoting an agenda of diversity and equality. This is an opportunity for FIND to harness the great skills of its media makers and take this on.
More specifically, as a FIND member, I’d like to see FIND respond by funding specific programs — PSA’s, doc grants, etc — to engage the issues that lead to this unfortunate situation.
I’ll happily donate my time to this – whether it be logistically, creatively or hauling cable.
Thank you both for your time. I know this has been a big week for you and hope that you’re able to spend some time with your families over the holiday.
Best regards,
Mia Trachinger