LETTER FROM JONATHAN WYSOCKI

My dear FIND Friends,

I am a Project:Involve Fellow and I've been an Associate Programmer for the Los Angeles Film Festival for the past four years. I know Rich. I know he's a nice guy. I know he's learned from this mistake, and I understand Film Independent's position on discrimination against religious beliefs.

We are at the crossroads of a major civil rights issue. As of now, the LGBT community and Rich do not have the same rights. Rich has the right to his religious beliefs, but when those beliefs actively take away my rights as a gay man, I am obviously put in a horrible position. I believe that if Rich had wanted to show tolerance yet not support gay marriage, the proper pathway should have been inaction, not a $1,500 contribution. I do not understand how he can reconcile his religious beliefs with the close relationship he has with his gay co-workers and festival acquaintances. I know it has been very difficult for everyone over there, but I am also hopeful that good change will come out of this storm.

I think the many LGBT members of Film Independent would love to hear from Rich. I think an organization that supports so much diversity should encourage such a letter.

As of now, it is with a heavy heart that I am canceling my Film Independent membership. I've been a member since 2001. It is a small action I can take to raise awareness about inequality.

Best of luck, and I hope to see everyone again on the other side.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Wysocki