Dear Josh and Dawn,
As a filmmaker and FIND member, I wanted to write to you in response to the news that Film Independent has accepted Rich Raddon’s resignation.
Film Independent is an amazing organization. I’ve personally benefitted from taking part in the Director’s Lab and the Fast Track Program. I’ve witnessed FIND’s commitment to fostering diverse voices. I love the LA Film Festival and I have been excited to watch the festival grow.
The fight against Proposition 8 is not about redefining family. It is not about challenging religion. It is an issue of all people being treated equally under the law. I understand that Rich’s personal actions do not reflect the views of Film Independent. I also understand Film Independent’s position on discrimination against an employee’s religious beliefs. But Rich is not any FIND employee, he is (and now was) the public face of the festival. It has become increasingly clear that his personal actions directly affect Film Independent’s credibility in the diversity department.
I know you were reluctant to see him leave the festival, but it was absolutely the right thing for him to do.
I have been speaking with other FIND members and we've all discussed the idea of a town hall meeting or some place to discuss how Film Independent can stay at the forefront of promoting equality and diversity in the world of film. I hope you will consider having some sort of meeting, even though Rich is no longer at the festival. Film is about sharing feelings and expressing points of view, so I'm sure a lot of filmmakers still have things to say. I hope you will consider it.
Yours,
Jennifer Arnold