LETTER FROM GEORGE REYES

Hi Francisco and Jane,

I just read the front page story in today's LA Times, "Prop. 8 rifts put industry on edge" and I was really concerned about a few of the things that were written in there regarding Rich Raddon's support for Yes on 8. I didn't know who to turn to for clarification.

I am so very happy and proud to be part of PI and Film Independent. Thrilled. I love the program, the other fellows and the staff. My experiences so far have been very positive. I guess that is why I already feel very protective of and loyal to the organization after a short period of time. So, when a friend of mine called when the news broke about Mr. Raddon's support of an anti-gay measure I was horrified by what my friend said, "Did you hear how the director of Film Independent gave a bunch of money to Yes on 8? You've got to resign your membership." I clarified to this friend that Rich Raddon is not the director of Film Independent but of the LA Film Festival and that I did not intend on resigning anything.

Unfortunately, there is a perception that Rich Raddon's support of stripping the LGBT community of their rights is linked to the organization and his prominent position as head of the festival supports this assumption. Even after explaining to my irate friend that Raddon is head of the festival and not the Organization she said, "OK, so that's even worse. He is the very public face of a very big festival who must have dealt with many of us on a regular basis and he still supported it. How can he ever introduce a gay filmmaker or film again?"

Hmmmm. Good, point.

He is free to support and vote for whatever cause he wants to. As Dawn Hudson was quoted in the Times article, "he has a right to his religious and personal beliefs." However, I disagree with what she says next, "The very cornerstone of our organization is diversity, and diversity includes sexual orientation. Rich's actions have always been in accordance with those principles."

Perhaps Rich's actions were usually in accordance with those principles. However, there was one glaring exception and it was when he gave a very large donation to Yes on 8.

$1500 is a lot of money and I believe that it corresponds to a very deep commitment by Mr. Raddon to this cause. He is committed to not allowing gay and lesbians the right to express their love, marry and have a basic civil right that was afforded in the state constitution. His donation shows a commitment to taking that away from us.

This is a very big deal. Not only to me but to every single gay person that I know. It breaks my heart to think of the joyful weddings that I have attended in the last few months that are now in question. It breaks my heart to think of the couples I know who are crushed to have their wedding plans put on hold because of this. It makes me angry to think that my own right to someday marry was taken away and that once again, my life is being judged by people who do not even know me or my friends.

But Mr. Raddon does know my friends. He actually knows one of them very well who was directly affected by Yes on 8. He has known many gay and lesbians over the years through his work in film. And he still voted against them.... and us. So, while I do not know him directly, I am angry and sad and am wary of him. Ignorance was not an excuse in his situation.

I do not agree with the argument that he was acting on religious conviction. We can all exercise free will. People have been disobeying false, damaging and bigoted church doctrine for centuries. There are people around the world doing horrible things to others out of religious conviction. That does not make it right.

I grew up Catholic and as a small child was told by a nun in my school about how the Jews murdered Jesus and that they were doomed because of this. As a six year old child I knew that this was wrong. I knew this was bigotry. If I could make that distinction at the age of six, I believe that any intelligent person who knows kind, creative, and loving gay people (as Mr. Raddon does) can make the same distinction.

So, while Mr. Raddon has the right to vote how he pleases and donate to what he pleases, I believe that he has lost credibility with the LGBT community. And, seeing as how we comprise a significant portion of the creative community, I would like to know: how does the LA Film Festival plan on addressing the loss of credibility by its director in the LGBT community? Because, no matter how accepting anyone may be about Mr. Raddon's right exercise his personal political views, I can guarantee you, not one gay or lesbian who looks into his face during the festival will not be thinking the following:

"Wow, this is the person gave all that money to Yes on 8."

And that will leave a sour taste in our mouths... and it will leave a little worm burrowed in our brains that will affect the rest of our experience at the festival.

Thanks,

George