LETTER FROM MEREDYTH WILSON

Hi Jane and Francisco-

I want to voice my sadness and disappointment about the recent issue that has arisen with the discovery of Rich Raddon's donation to Yes on 8.

I have until this point felt what can only be described as exuberance and joy at the opportunity to participate in the P:I fellowship. You are both fantastic and always a pleasure to be around, the rest of the fellows are such a dynamic and wonderful group to be a part of and I enjoy every minute of getting to know them each better.

Shock and dismay permeated my mind when I learned that the festival's director gave money to such a lying and despicable campaign. His decision hurt and damned many of the festival's and FIND's supporters and constituents. Marriage is the bell weather issue for gay people as eduction was for African Americans. Each of these issues flies in the face of the most salient prejudices about the respective groups. Protecting individuals under the law to live and pursue their dreams is a necessary part of moving forward. Mandating that separate was not equal in Brown vs. the Board of Eduction rocked the country in 1954, as I hope an equivalent ruling will someday rock this country again around the subject of same sex marriage.

This has been a bittersweet election year. My girlfriend and I volunteered for the No on 8 campaign. Our last task was working outside the polls on election day talking to voters. While we connected with many of our supporters, we also suffered the hate-filled reactions of others. The passage of Prop 8 was crushing. I spent Wednesday night in St. Louis at a dinner, for a job, celebrating the straight marriage of people I didn't even know. The faux crystal bride and groom dancing with a glow emanating from within was a real topper of the cake.

When I came home to LA I found a Christmas party invitation from a former actress who I did a job for a few weeks before. It was made clear to me by another gay man I worked with on the job that while I was invited, it would be inappropriate for me to bring my girlfriend to the company party, even though all the straight people were bringing their spouses and children. I politely declined.

I thought that FIND was a refuge from the reality that we as LGBT people often live with in the work world. The recent revelations tell another story. It is difficult for me to understand why Raddon's resignation was not accepted. It seems strange that there has not been something more said publicly either from Raddon or FIND regarding the issue. If he had made a donation to a white supremacist organization would that be treated any differently? Many people, the Mayor of San Diego, for one example, who formerly held an opposing view, have searched their hearts, changed their minds, and stood up for justice and equality. I sincerely hope that if Raddon does not leave FIND, his search will lead him to a similar place.

I'm tired of LGBT issues being wiped to the side, as if it is impolite for us to question the motivations and actions of people who would like to continue to marginalize and dismiss us. I sincerely hope Raddon and FIND seek another path and somehow restore the confidence and support of LGBT members and our allies.

Thank you for your time,

All the Best,

Meredyth