LETTER FROM BARNEY CHENG

Dear Dawn:

I've been a member of FIND for many years now, and I look forward to the LA Film Festival every summer. I was very excited to be part of the FIND family by becoming a Project:Involve fellow this year. As an active member of the LGBT community, I was shocked by Rich Raddon's contribution to the Prop 8 campaign. When I learned that Raddon wanted to resign voluntarily, but FIND rejected his resignation, I felt incredibly puzzled, disturbed and betrayed.

How could Raddon effectively lead the LA Film Festival (which promotes diversity), when he, through his action, declares that LGBT people are second-class citizens...that "they" don't deserve equal protection and equal rights under the law?

These "second-class citizens" are directors, producers, actors, writers, costume designers, set designers, make-up artists, DP's, casting directors, buyers, financiers, festival programmers, coordinators, the audience...who contribute greatly to the vitality and artistry of the industry and specifically, the festival that Raddon represents.

Raddon's continued leadership would create an unhealthy forum which stifles artistic creation and participation by breeding mistrust and resentment among "out" LGBT filmmakers on the one hand, and on the other hand, encouraging "closeted" filmmakers to stay fearful and silent.

Should Raddon be fired for expressing his anti-equality, homophobic views? No. It's my understanding, however, that he wanted to resign voluntarily, but FIND would not allow his resignation. Why not? Had Raddon contributed to a campaign legislating inequality against women, Jews or Koreans, would FIND have reacted similarly?

These are some of the questions that I've been thinking about. After talking to many other filmmakers (queer and straight), I learned that they are equally disturbed by these questions and puzzled by the lack of response. It's been eleven days, and we're all still asking these questions, since FIND hasn't addressed them.

I think it would be appropriate for FIND to organize a forum and issue a public statement to address this controversy as it relates specifically to LGBT filmmakers. Perhaps also a blogs space on the FIND website for this particular issue? I would like to see FIND reaffirm its commitment to diversity and equality so that FIND continues to be a safe, healthy and supportive environment for LGBT filmmakers to work, create, and explore.

Very sincerely,

Barney Cheng