Dawn, et al.
My name is Jenn Garrison and I am a filmmaker. I moved to LA in January from Austin, Texas and in February joined Film Independent. Since joining, I have been to many of FIND’s screenings, workshops, The LA Film Festival, The Filmmaker Forum and most recently was chosen as one of FIND’s 2008-2009 Project Involve Fellows.
I have had nothing but great experiences with FIND as an organization and with its staff members. I am grateful for the wonderful film community at FIND. One of the major reason’s I became involved with FIND stems from part of the mission statement: “Film Independent’s diversity strategy is to … become a leading national incubator for diverse filmmaking talent.”
I'm writing to let you know my feeling around FINDs actions regarding the controversy over Rich Raddon's donation to “Yes on 8”. When I heard this news, I felt betrayed and sucker-punched! I was in shock! Deeply saddened and hurt! I come from Texas where homophobia and racism run amuck. I have been making too many apologies for way too long for people that are prejudice because of their religion.
I understand that Rich Raddon resigned from his position last week and that FIND immediately rejected his resignation. I wish that FIND had instead asked for a few days to investigate the matter and have a dialogue about how Rich’s actions affected FINDs community before making that decision. I felt like FIND immediately chose to defend Rich’s rights over the betrayal and mistrust that many of us filmmakers (queer and straight) feel about this issue.
I am not writing to debate Rich’s faith or what his beliefs are or whether or not he had the ‘right’ to make his donation in favor of “Yes on 8.” I am writing because I am concerned about FINDs lack of response to this matter and how that affects my relationship with FIND. It feels like the issue has been swept under the rug, and as each day passes without an official, public statement from FIND, the more my trust and faith in FIND diminishes and I wonder where my ‘safe’ place as an artist is within the organization.
I just can’t imagine Rich staying in his current position as the face of the LA Film Festival. As a queer filmmaker, I would not feel safe, nor supported by an organization that has a director who’s actions have shown me that I am considered a ‘second-class citizen’ and that my civil rights are not important to him. It would be difficult to feel protected by FIND to create a safe space for my incubation as a diverse filmmaker
I really want to know how FIND envisions continuing with Rich running the LA Film Festival? How does FIND imagine filmmakers will respond to this choice? Where is FIND’s statement on this matter?
I look forward to a response from FIND and hopefully some sort of town hall meeting between FIND staff/board members and the film community that FIND serves. We need to continue our dialogue about this issue and how FIND can continue to function as a home for diverse filmmaking talent.
Sincerely
Jenn Garrison